HE Research Snippet 25 – Video Insights Into The New PG Loan
We think the new PG loan is big news. It was introduced in 2016 with the aim of boosting the stagnating PGT enrollment numbers, especially from lower socioeconomic groups (SEGs). The government’s other objectives were to up-skill the national workforce and improve social mobility.
Insights from our PGT+ Dashboard lead us to believe that the PG loan could become a very effective tool for helping to achieve the Government’s goals. Why? Because fear of high tuition fees and / or debt is the second most common barrier entry for PG study: a barrier that is heightened among those from lower SEGs. Although awareness of- and influence of the PG loan (at this early stage in its life) varies significantly by SEG, it gets its best cut-through among those from lower SEGs. These people are also more likely to be positively influenced by its introduction. So the data augurs well for the new loan.
It’s obviously very early days for the loan, so we asked members of our 140,000-strong OpinionPanel Community to share their thoughts about it. Take a peek below.
The PGT+ Dashboard includes:
- Four years of survey results including the latest wave completed in October 2016
- 8,000 interviews with prospective PGT candidates, 1,000 with non-considerers
- Analysis available at 4 key lifestages: from final year undergraduates to 6-10 year graduates
- 8 key chapters to analyse
- 40+ charts & a pivot table capability
- Full comparison and filter functionality
- Membership of the HE Insight Club.